These are presented as a template or resource for your own use. They were developed by the Inclusive Wicca Discussion Group.
Model guidelines for group discussion
(Can be used face-to-face or online)
Guidance for use in a face to face group
Get participants to suggest their own guidelines and write them up on a flip-chart. If they omit any items from this list, you can suggest them.
Guidance for use in an online group
Post the guidelines as a list on the about page of your group. Invite people to suggest additional guidelines. Ask people to state in writing in the comments that they agree with the guidelines.
- Focus on arguments, not people (no ad hominem attacks)
- Address others respectfully
- Avoid stereotyping of other groups
- Don’t discriminate or be judgemental
- There are no “stupid” questions or answers
- Assume good faith by participants in discussions
- Don’t assume that you know what someone else means by what they have written / said
- New members are encouraged to contribute
- Keep it confidential who said what
- Don’t reveal personal information outside the group